- The Implications and Risks of Animal Cruelty, and How the Criminal Justice Community Can Help (U.S. Department of Justice blog)
- Prosecuting Puppy Mill and Other Large Volume Cruelty Cases
- Enforcing State Animal Cruelty Laws: Part I – Interpreting the Laws to Obtain Successful Prosecutions
- Enforcing State Animal Cruelty Laws: Part II – Working with the Laws We Have
- Protecting Domestic Violence Victims by Protecting their Pets: The Overlooked Victims of Domestic Violence
- First Strike [PDF]: The Violence Connection
- Juveniles and Crimes of Animal Cruelty [PDF]
We also offer Illegal Animal Fighting: A Law Enforcement Primer for the Investigation of Cockfighting and Dogfighting (for law enforcement only).
Guides and Manuals
The following investigation and prosecution guides are linked by permission and are for informational purposes only. They are the work of experts in the states specified, and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The HSUS. Nevertheless, they are excellent resources for cruelty investigators and prosecutors.