(partial data below…emphasis added)
They analysed 35 commercial frozen RMBDs from eight different brands, widely available in The Netherlands. Escherichia coli O157 was isolated from eight products (23%), Listeria species were present in 15 products (43%) and Salmonella species in seven products (20%). Both E coli O157 and Salmonella infections in humans have been linked with serious illnesses.
Four products (11%) contained the parasite Sarcocystis cruzi and another four contained Sarcocystis tenella. In two products (6%) Toxoplasma gondii was found. The Sarcocystes species are not zoonotic but pose a risk to farm animals. T gondii is an important zoonosis with a high disease burden in humans.
“Despite the relatively low sample size of frozen products in our study, it is clear that commercial RMBDs may be contaminated with a variety of zoonotic bacterial and parasitic pathogens that may be a possible source of bacterial infections in pet animals and if transmitted pose a risk for human beings,” say the researchers.
“Cats and dogs that eat raw meat diets are also more likely to become infected with antibiotic-resistant bacteria than animals on conventional diets, which could pose a serious risk to both animal health and public health,” they add.
They outline several ways in which pet owners and other household members can encounter such pathogens. For example, through direct contact with the food or with an infected pet; through contact with contaminated household surfaces; or by eating cross-contaminated human food.
They therefore suggest that pet owners should be informed about the risks associated with feeding their animals RMBDs, and should be educated about personal hygiene and proper handling of RMBDs.
AND….below……this isn’t about feeding dogs or cats–but squirrels—-do NOT feed squirrels!!!
There are so many pathogens/vectors associated with the rats (they are a rat with a tail LOL) that it’s not worth it–especially if they are everywhere in your yard!! Feeding them is illegal in California and people have died of the plague, and so have dogs. You can go research this on the CDC site. We already did.
If squirrels get into your attic and their crap gets into your heat/air system you better run/get both exterminator and HVAC people ASAP. This is very dangerous especially if you have babies, older people and anyone with suppressed immune system. There are no benefits for being near squirrels at all. A rat is a rat.